- Since 1953 – A Trusted Name in Numismatics! Serving the Collector with Honesty, Value and Reliability.
- We are a Family-owned Business where Customer Service is not a word, it’s an Attitude.
- We’ve specialize in Rare Coin Investments for over 60 Years!.
- Joel Rettew, Sr. has been a professional coin dealer since 1953. He was one of David Hall’s first employers (David calls Joel “one of my major mentors”) and is a numismatic speaker, lecturer, teacher, and author.
- For over 17 years, his numismatic column has appeared each week in the Los Angeles Times.
- Joel is a lifetime member of the American Numismatic Association (#702), the Numismatic Literary Guild, and the Professional Numismatists Guild.
- He has been called as an expert witness in court cases relating to numismatics, and he is an appraiser for the Federal Trade Commission and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
- Over the years, Joel has been a regular contributor to grading guides and price guides, including the Red Book and the PCGS Price Guide.
- Member of the P.C.G.S. Numismatic Advisory Board!
- Life Member of the American Numismatics Association – #702
- Life Member of the Numismatic Literary Guild!
- Appraiser for the Federal Trade Commission!
- Professional Numismatic Guild Life Member
- Member of Consumer Protection at ANA
- Board of Experts at PCGS
- Authorized Dealer for PCGS, NGC, and ANACS submissions (since the inception of PCGS in 1986, JOEL D. RETTEW has submitted over 100,000 coins for certification)
- 2008 American Numismatic Association (ANA) Presidential Award
- 2007 Glenn Smedley Memorial ANA Award
Contributions to the Numismatics community
- Contributor to the Redbook and the Bluebook for 20 years!
- Contributor to the Coin Universe Pricing Guide!
- Contributor to the Official A.N.A. Grading Standards for United States Coins!
- Co-Instructor with J. P. Martin A.N.A. Grading Seminar!
- Underbidder on the Largest Numismatic Transaction* in U.S. History!
- Numismatic Speaker and Lecturer!
- Continuous weekly coin columnist for the Los Angeles Times for over 17 years!
- One of the Founders of the California Coin Dealers Association in 1969!
- Works with our Lobbyist in Sacramento, helping to make some of the regulations that improve our Industry on the State level (ie. No Sales Tax on Transactions of $1500 or More)
- Expert Witness in the U.S. Court System!
- Professional Appraiser for the ATF – Bureau of Alcohol, Tobaco, Firearms and Explosives
- Serving on Three Committees for the American Numismatics Association: Membership Committee, Education Committee, and the Advisory Committee!
Letter from David Hall Founder of P.C.G.S
I worked for Joel Rettew for two years, from 1974 to 1976.
Before I went to work for Joel, I had long admired his extensive offerings of great coins in Coin World… so I was thrilled at the chance to work for one of the industry’s leaders.
Joel has handled many of the rarest U.S. Coins and helped build many fine collections. I learned a great deal about rare coins when I worked for Joel, but what really amazed me was his constant flow of ideas. He was always trying to find new ways to offer better products and better service for his clients. What I learned from Joel is that you can always do better. Joel Rettew was one of my major mentors.
Founder of Professional Coin Grading Service
President of Collector’s Universe